System ADM file not applying to GPO
Millette
2004-11-19 16:21:03 UTC
When I try to import the system adm file for XPsp2 I get the following
message. Once I click OK to this and try to open a group policy to edit I get
several messages stating that strings are too long and have been truncated. I
need to get firewall setup accross the domain. HELP!?

Administrative Templates
---------------------------
The following error occurred in
\\Domain.com\sysvol\domain.com\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\Adm\conf.adm on line 2:

Error 51 Unexpected keyword

Found: #if

Expected: CLASS, CATEGORY, [strings]

The file can not be loaded.

---------------------------
OK
--------------------
--
Chris Millette
Network Administrator
Community Bank & Trust
Monty
Community Bank & Trust
Millette
Community Bank & Trust
Bruce Sanderson
2004-11-19 21:42:17 UTC
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842933 also has a
hotfix for Windows 2003 Server.

See also http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873449.

I suggest creating the firewall GPO initially using a Windows XP SP2
workstation and add at least one setting from Computer Configuration,
Administrative Templates, Network, Network Connections, Windows Firewall,
Domain Profile. This will put the Windows XP SP2 version of the various
Microsoft supplied ADM files in that GPO's folder in the Domain's Sysvol.
Then, when you edit the GPO on a Windows 2003 Server, the XP SP2 Firewall
settings will appear in the already created GPO.
--
Bruce Sanderson MVP

It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.